TripAdvisor has come out with their list of rising destinations for travelers in 2012. It’s interesting to see which off-the-beaten path destinations people are visiting. Not every traveler likes to visit the most popular destinations and this list provides some new choices to think about.
It’s not surprising that five of the top ten are places in South America. Besides the warm tropical climate these locations have, they’re also relatively inexpensive compared to the more highly traveled cities and countries. With the global economy still struggling, you can easily stretch your hard earned money in South America.
Here is TripAdvisor’s top ten rising destinations for 2012:
- Mar del Plata, Argentina: Topping the list is Mar del Plata which is a beautiful beach resort on the Atlantic coast. There are elaborate Victorian summer homes, and ten miles of soft sandy beaches to play in. Their summer season is November through March which makes it more inviting to those who are in the winter months during the same timeframe.
- Sao Paulo, Brazil: Sao Paulo is the largest city in South America and very historic. It has a multinational population and a diverse cuisine. There’s excellent international shopping, world-class museums, and lots of art galleries.
- Kiev, Ukraine: Not surprisingly, Kiev tops this list with its historic sites and culture. Once shut off to the world, Kiev has many famous historical landmarks including two World Heritage Sites: The Monastery of Caves and Saint Sophia Cathedral.
- Montevideo, Uruguay: Described as a “vibrant, eclectic place with a rich cultural heritage”, Montevideo is the southernmost capital city in South America. In addition to its beautiful sandy beaches, the nightlife here is vibrant. If you like to Tango, this place comes alive at night with dancers.
- Perth, Australia: Perth is located on the western shores of Australia, far away from the bigger cities in Australia. Summers are from December to March and are usually hot and dry. This family friendly city has many beaches, parks, and several islands to explore.
- Mexico City, Mexico: Mexico City is at an altitude of 7,350 ft. which most visitors don’t realize. It has a subtropical climate, and its summer months are June through August. Visit old Mexico City known as Tenochtitlan, which was also the Aztec capital. Lots of Aztec ruins, good authentic Mexican food, and culture.
- Hobart, Australia: Located on the island of Tasmania, this Australian town used to be a penal colony. Many historic buildings and sites to see here. Walk the waterfront where old commercial buildings have been turned into seaside shops and restaurants overlooking the busy port. The summer months are from December through March.
- Guadalajara, Mexico: This is where Mariachi music was born and is still played today. It’s also adjacent to Tequila where, you guessed it, Tequila is produced. Although the city is inland, it’s a short drive to beaches along the Pacific coast. Many historic buildings, museums, and local retailers can be found here.
- Moscow, Russia: Some of the world’s most recognizable buildings are in Moscow. Red Square is a must see with its beautifully architectured buildings such as St. Basil’s Cathedral, the Kremlin, and the Spasskaya Clocktower. Rich in history and culture, this is a great educational trip.
- Turin, Italy: Located in northern Italy, Turin is well-known for its cuisine, piazzas, parks, gardens, and palaces. Dining is always a pleasure in Turin. Here you can visit a medieval village complete with an 18th century castle and its beautiful gardens.
TripAdvisor is a travel website with over 30 million members. TripAdvisor assists travelers with reviews on locations and there’s more than 75 million reviews. This top ten rising destinations list is a result of reviews by their members.